Do you have an axe at home? Do you have a lot of wood chopping to do? Then there is one important that you need to remember and that is keeping the axe sharp. Yes, chopping can be done easily only when the axe is sharp. Using a dull axe for chopping wood can make the task difficult for you. It wastes a lot of time and your energy as well. There are chances of accidents and injuries due to dull blades. Especially if you are a woodworker, then keeping the axe sharp is very important for you.
There are several axe sharpeners available in the market, but the problem is to find the best axe sharpener for your axe. There are so many different kinds of axe sharpening tools, types and different brands available in the market and that is making your task tough. But you don’t worry. We have listed some best axe sharpeners here for you. We have the best five axe sharpeners and reviewed each of them. We also have listed their pros and cons for you to understand them well. Along with all this, you can also go through the buying guide that can help you pick the right axe sharpener for your wood chopping.
So, let us get started…
Best Axe Sharpener Reviews 2021
Here are the best axe sharpeners available in the market.
First, on the list, we have Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Sharpening Stone. Having a double grit axe sharpening stone is a good choice and this is a double gritstone here for you. It is a pack of three important things that you will need to sharpen your axe. You have one sharp pebble whetstone sharpening stone that comes with a non-slip base that is made of rubber, One axe flattening stone, and a guide that can help you how to use this sharpener. The dual gritstone has 400 grit level on one side and 1000 grit levels on the other side. So, you can use 400 to get the axe to shape and then 1000 grit to make it sharp for wood chopping. It can be used for sharpening even small knives, kitchen knives, scissors, pocket knives and blades as well. You should use the sharpening stone only as much as required and not more than that. When used in the right way, you will be able to use the axe for a long time. If there are any uneven surfaces on the axe, you can use the flattening stone to repair them. These uneven surfaces are caused due to repeated use of the axe. This is water-based stone, and hence you don’t have to invest in the honing oil. Also, cleaning oil stone is a very tough job. It is one of the best selling products in the market.
- This stone has a dual grit edge.
- The grit levels of the stone are 400 and 1000.
- There is a non-slip rubber base so that the stone does not move.
- It comes with a user guide.
- It can be used for sharpening different kinds of blades and knives.
- It also has a flattening stone for uneven surfaces on the axe.
- It is good for small axes only.
Next, on the list, we have the Nicholson 06706N file. It is an American style axe sharpening filer, which comes with both single cut side and also a double-cut side. You will be able to sharpen different kinds of axes, blades, knives and many other gardening tools at your home. The shape of the filer is rectangular and long. As the filer is long, you will be able to do faster filing and there will be less chances for any kind of injuries or accidents to happen. The double-cut side of the filer can be used rough filing of the axe, and the single cut side is used for the finishing work. It is eight inches long, which excludes the handle. It is one of the most affordable options that are available in the market. It is very thin, and that can make it less durable, and so many people do not prefer this axe sharpening filer. But it does its job very well, and hence it is one of the best options that you should consider. If you are new to the axe sharpening work, then this long axe filer can keep your fingers safe while it can still sharpen the axe for you.
- It is one of the most affordable axe sharpening tools available in the market.
- It has a double cut side and a single cut side.
- The double-cut side is good for faster filing.
- The single-cut side is used for finishing work.
- The long axe filer will make sure that the fingers are safe and you don’t end up hurting your fingers.
- It is light in weight.
- It can be used for sharpening multiple tools in your house.
- It is not a durable option.
- It does not sharp the objects well.
Next, on the list, we have Smith’s 50582 Axe and Machete Sharpener. If you are looking for an easy to use axe and machete sharpener, then this is the right choice for you. It is one of the simple tools that you can use for sharpening your axe. For those who do not want to spend too much on the axe sharpening tools, but want the best results with the available tools, can go for it. But it is more about how well this works and that is why it is one of the best selling products in the market. The axe sharpener comes with a very long handle that will help you in holding it against the axe. There will not be any chances of any accidents and any injuries with this axe sharpener. You just need to pass the axe blade between the sharpener and you will be able to see a very sharp axe in just a few minutes. The best part about this axe sharpener, when compared to the other two options that we have seen so far, is that you will be able to sharpen both the sides in just one go. You don’t have to do it again and again. The handle is made of plastic material, which makes it easy for you to handle and is not heavy as well. You also get one cleaning brush along with this axe sharpener and it is quite easy for you to use it. It comes with wire bristles and it can be stored anywhere.
- It is a good tool for sharpening your axe in just no time.
- It comes with a plastic handle, which makes it easy to hold the sharpener.
- There is a cleaning brush available with it.
- Too many marks on the axe after it is sharpened.
Next, on the list, we have Gransfors Bruks Ceramic Sharpening Stone. If you are looking for a good sharpening stone, then this is a good choice. You won’t be able to find a better option than this. It is a ceramic stone that is used for sharpening the axe in a very old fashioned way. You can use water for sharpening or it can be done without water as well. You will not be using any kind of oil for sharpening using this stone. The stone comes with two different sides, one is smooth and the other side is coarse. When using this stone, you will have to spend a little extra time sharpening the axe as it is going to take a lot of time. If you like precision, then you are making the right choice. Time is important but when you want the right results, you should make sure that you are using the right product and doing it in the right way. The coarse side of the stone has 180 grit and the fine side comes with 600 grit levels. So, you will have to choose the side based on your requirements. It is a 160 gram stone and you need to rub it across the axe top make it sharp. You will have to do one side at a time.
- It is a 160 grams stone that can make your axe sharp.
- It has a coarse side with 180 grit levels
- It has a smooth side with 600 grit levels,
- The results of the sharpener are perfect and quite good.
- You can use it with water or without water.
- It is a very time taking process with this sharpening stone.
- It is a bit expensive compared to other options.
Last, on the list, we have Fiskars XSharp Axe and Knife Sharpener. One of the most versatile and efficient sharpening tools available in the market. It works very fast and you will be able to sharpen the axe in a very short time. You will be able to sharpen both sides at a time and even when used many times, this device will not get damaged. It is made of fiberglass, and so it is a strong material. It is also a safe way to sharpen the axe as your hands or fingers will not get damaged. The best part about the axe sharpener is that you will be able to buy it at an affordable price. If your axe is very thick, then you may find it a bit difficult to sharpen your axe with the help of the sharpener. You will be able to sharpen many different kinds of tools like knives and blades as well.
- It can sharpen your axe in just a few minutes.
- You will be able to sharpen both sides at a time.
- The sharpener is made of fiberglass, which does not break easily.
- It comes at an affordable price.
- It does not sharpen the thick axes.
Best axe sharpener 2021 – Buying Guide
There are many important things that you need to consider when buying a best axe sharpener. It is not going to be an easy task. It is very important to keep the axe sharp all the time; otherwise, you will not be able to chop the wood properly. But when so many options are confusing you, it is always good to go through a buying guide that can help you to pick the right axe sharpener. So, here is a buying guide for you.
Type of axe sharpener:
You have two different kinds of axe sharpeners. One of them is stone and the other one is the manual or electric sharpeners.
- Stone: When it comes to an axe sharpening stone, there are different kinds of stones available in the market. You have wet stones and oil stones. As the name implies, you will have to wet the stone and rub the axe against the stone to make it sharp. This kind of stone is used in Japan and it is a traditional way to sharpen the axe. It is now getting popular in western countries as well. These stones are easy to clean and maintain. But when it comes to the oil stone, you will use the Honing oil on the stone and start rubbing the axe on it. The stone helps to sharpen the stone, while the oil will help in polishing the axe, and that makes it shine. But the cleaning process of oil stone is a bit messy.
- Manual or electric sharpeners: These sharpeners have a V shape notch where the axe is placed, and you will have to sharpen the axe. It is a bit easy and simple way to sharpen your axes.
The first important factor to keep in mind when buying an axe sharpener is the Grit. It is the grit that is going to decide how sharp your axe will get. You can choose any kind of axe sharpener and all of them come with some level of grit. If the sharpener has 800 grit level or lesser, then it will be able to repair the damaged or chipped axes. If you are looking for a better result, then you will have to go for 1000 to 3000 grit levels. And if you are choosing 3000 to 6000 grit level, then your axe will become like a razor blade, which can even be used for shaving your beard. But you don’t need that grit levels.
The next important factor to keep in mind when you buy an axe sharpener is the size of the sharpener. Size may not have anything to do with the effect of sharpening, but how you are going to store it will affect. If you have enough space, then it is always a good choice to choose a large sharpener only. With a large sharpener, you will be able to sharpen both small and large axes.
When you are buying an axe sharpener, it is always good to go for a sharpener that can be used in multiple ways. One single sharpener should be able to sharpen your scissors, knives, hunting knives, kitchen knives, and any similar kind of blades in the house.
Sharpening your axe is not going to be a simple task. You need to do it with a lot of care and caution. You should make sure that the sharpener does not have a base that slips. Choose something with an anti-slip base, and that can avoid any kind of accidents.
Any kind of axe sharpener needs maintenance and you should always look for an axe sharpener that needs little maintenance. Some stones will need a lot of maintenance like the wet stones as they need a lot of cleaning and that can be frustrating sometimes.
It is also important to consider the price of the axe sharpener. You need not have to invest too much on a sharpener if you not using your axe for something professional. If it is just for chopping woods in your backyard, then opt for a cheaper one.
We hope this article was useful to you. You must have learned about the best axe sharpeners in the market and things that you need to consider when you are buying an axe sharpener. Now, you are going to find it much easier for you to decide which is the right one for your requirements. Always make a choice based on your budget and your requirements as you may have to carry it along with you. Whatever is your choice, it has to be comfortable for you and easy to use.
- Best Axe Sharpener Reviews 2021
- Best axe sharpener 2021 – Buying Guide
- Bottom Line